The following is a list of monsters that occur in the Avernum Series: This list is not to be confused with the list of Sentient Races, such as Humans and Nephilim, and is provided elsewhere.
The list is broken up into several sub-categories below. Note: Some pages are listed in more than one category. This is because, some examples, such as the Nephilim, are examples of more than one subcategory. For instance, they are Feline in appearance, and also Humanoid. Similarly, Humans are both Humanoid (as they give the name to the category), and also Mammals.
Further Note: Later, pages will be added to this wiki about these creatures, with information such as the games that these can be found in, and will have links to these articles for references .
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Aranea (all Avernum games) (Hostile)-cast spell.The most common ones are Fireball/Firebolt and Call Beast.
- Chitrachs (all Avernum games) (Hostile)
- Cockroaches (Avernum 3/RW) (Hostile,except for G.I.F.T.Rs)
- Giant slugs (Hostile)
- Giant spiders (all Avernum games) (Hostile)
- GIFTRs (Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Roaches, Avernum 3, (and Exile 3) (Friendly)
- GIFTS (Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders, AV 2 AV3, (also Exile 2 + 3) (Friendly)
- Null bugs (all AV games) (Hostile).Inflict nearby characters with Nullity which prevents the use of any kind of spells or Battle Disciplines)
- Scuttlers (Avernum 5 and 6) (Hostile,except for a few Trapped ones)
- Spiders (all Avernum games) (mostly Hostile,except for G.I.F.T.S)
- Worms (all Avernum games) (Hostile)
Canines[edit | edit source]
- Alien beasts (Avernum 3/Avernum 3 RW) (Hostile).Hard to kill unless you have the Warpmetal Blade.
Faerie[edit | edit source]
- Dryads (Avernum 3 and RW) (Friendly)
- Gremlins (all AV games) (Hostile/Neutral)
- Pixies (some Avernum games) (Neutral)
Felines[edit | edit source]
- Cats (Avernum 1,2,3,5 and 6) (Friendly)
- Nepharim (all Avernum games) (Hostile)
- Nephilim (All Avernum games) (Hostile in Avernum 1,but mostly friendly in 2,3,4,5 and 6)
- Rakshasi (Avernum 2/AV 2 Crystal Souls/Avernum 3/AV 3 RW).Just like Aranea,but are felines (obviously),are much tougher and cast nastier spells (can also call Demons-very hard enemies in the original Avernum games).
Fungal Creatures[edit | edit source]
Fungal Creatures come in two distinct varieties: The aggressively hostile Fungal monsters that appear throughout Avernum, and sometimes on the surface, and appear in many of the game's titles, and the rare Swamp Folk, who are intelligent, sentient beings.
Fungal Creatures come in several different varieties: They include Poison Fungi', which are poisonous, Spore Beasts, which cause disease, and Shamblers.
See Also:[edit | edit source]
Golems[edit | edit source]
Humanoids[edit | edit source]
- Swamp folk
- Vahnatai (Friendly/Hostile)
Mammals[edit | edit source]
- Cave cows
- Rats (including Vapor and Mung rats)
Mythical Creatures[edit | edit source]
Plagues[edit | edit source]
The Plagues are the list of creatures that are created by the Vahnatai to wreak havoc on the Empire for the events that occurred in Avernum 2, mainly the theft of the Crystal Souls. It is the job of the adventuring party (also known as the Surface Explorers (Avernum 3), to stop as many of these as possible, so that the Avernites can live on the surface, in Valorim.
The following is the list of Plagues:
Reptiles[edit | edit source]
Reptiles include the creatures that are of a Reptillian nature. These include:
- Fire lizards
- Giant lizards
- Hydra (including Fire Hydra and Ice Hydra in Chapter 2 of Avernum 2.
- Ice lizards
Undead[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Undead
There are a multitude of different types of Undead creatures throughout Avernum, and on the Surface. Despite the differing types, the easiest way to kill these creatures is to use Priest spells such as Dispel Undead.
- Ghasts (Including Quickghasts)
- Skeletons (Including Skeleton Archers)
References[edit | edit source]
Thanks to the following for the information provided in this:
- Encyclopedia Ermarian, Humanoids Page